Autumn: Holiday tips and hiking

When the trees are covered in colourful leaves, wine festivals take place and seasonal specialities such as pumpkin and chestnuts appear on the table, we know that autumn has arrived. Hiking is also particularly enjoyable at this time. The mild temperatures and foggy views attract hikers to the mountains. Discover the most colourful season in Ciociaria now.

Palace of Boniface VIII

Built in the early 13th century, it was destroyed. Several popes and emperors, including Emperor Frederick II, stayed in the Palace before it was sold to Boniface VIII in 1230. The Sala delle Oche, the Sala del Giubileo and the Sala degli Scacchi are among the most important rooms in the Palace, as they feature frescoes, paintings, works of art and valuable furniture. The Gismondi Art Studio, commissioned by Maestro Tommaso Gismondi in the 1970s and still accessible today, is housed in the Palazzo dei Canonici, a beautiful structure next to the ancient Cathedral. Sculptures of all genres and themes, coins, medals, sketches, paintings and drawings are among the works on display in the palace.

Charterhouse of Trisulti

The legendary and majestic Carthusian Monastery of Trisulti was founded in 1204 by Pope Innocent III and entrusted to Carthusian monks from 1208, surrounded by centuries-old forests. The Cistercian monks of the Casamari Congregation took their place in 1947. The church contains valuable works of art, an old pharmacy from the 17th century, gardens, a refectory, a huge cloister and a small cloister with the monks’ former cemetery. It is also possible to visit them inside.

La Mamma Ciociara

La Mamma Ciociara, a work created in Carrara by the artist Andreani in 1964, stands on a panoramic terrace in Castro dei Volsci, a typical medieval settlement.

Constable Filippo Colonna III renounced his authority over the money, which was previously Castrum Castri or Castrum S. Filippo Colonna III, and the name is relatively recent, having been established in 1816. Petri is the name of a character in this story.

The Valle del Sacco has long been a site of historical importance, with numerous events dating back to the Upper Palaeolithic. In addition, numerous testimonies from the pre-Roman, Roman and early medieval periods can be found. The land is rich and has a pleasant climate, with gentle slopes and terraces, and is crossed by the Sacco River, an important communication route that flows from the Prenestini Mountains through the entire valley to its confluence with the Liri River south-east of Ceprano…

Civitavecchia of Arpino

In the land register of 1581, the tower is listed as Civitas Ciceroniana, located on the so-called Acropolis of Arpino. It is thought that Cicero’s family, inherited by Quintus, brother of the famous writer, lived in the ancient village surrounded by Cyclopean walls. Prints and works by the Master of Caravaggio, Giuseppe Cesari, known as Cavalier d’Arpino, can be admired in the Giuseppe Cesari House in the Cesari Gallery.

Académie Vitti Museum

The Académie Vitti was, until 1914, one of the liveliest private art ateliers in Paris.

Founded in 1889 at 49 Boulevard du Montparnasse, on the initiative of Cesare Vitti, his wife Maria Caira and his sisters Anna and Jacinta, all four former models, the Académie Vitti counted among its teachers, during its twenty-five years of activity, some of the most important figures of the international art scene of the time, such as Paul Gauguin, Luc-Olivier Merson, Jacques-Émile Blanche, Hermenegildo Anglada Camarasa and Kees van Dongen.

Its teachers taught young artists from different nations, from Europe and Latin America, and especially female painters and sculptors from North America.

A special feature of this drawing and painting school was the free admission of female students, who could practise with nude models in that environment.

The photographs, postcards, drawings and sketches in the exhibition document the vicissitudes of the private painting schools in Paris, including the Académie located at ’49 Boulevard du Montparnasse’, at a crucial time in modern art, i.e. in the period between the end of the 19th century and the second decade of the last century.

Fumone's Castle

The history of Fumone Castle has obscure and ancient origins. From the earliest times, Fumone was an important sighting and communication point.

The 800 metre high hill where Fumone is located is of extraordinary strategic importance, a geographical position that dominates the entire Sacco valley and the main road that connected Rome and Naples: the via Latina.
The name Fumone derives from the ancient function of communication by means of smoke signals, signals that announced the invasions of enemies coming from the south and heading for Rome.

Belonging to the Ernici (a very ancient population that lived in the upper Ciociaria region in the towns of Anagni, Alatri, Ferentino and Veroli), Fumone is said to have been a place of refuge for King Tarquinio il Superbo, who was driven out of Rome and in search of alliances.

Later Fumone was of military importance to the Romans in the Sannio War, when the Samnites were positioned near Sora (area visible from the castle) and held the legions in check for a long time.

But it was especially during Hannibal’s invasion that Fumone played a key role. The Romans made use of it when the Carthaginian general, after having established himself in Capua (area visible from the castle), suddenly decided to aim at Rome by marching along the via Latina (visible from the castle for a stretch of 50 km).

Fumone’s military importance continued during the civil wars between Marius and Sulla and between Caesar and Pompey. Even then, possessing Fumone meant for the generals not only observing the enemy, but above all communicating with the legions and coordinating them at great distances.